University of Manchester.
3500 word essay ‘What is valuable about Democracy’ Needed by 12th Feb 2017.
What is democracy?
• What does it mean to say that the people rule in a democracy?
• What are the fundamental values that motivate (or should motivate) our
attempts to maintain and strengthen democracy?
• Does democracy require liberal rights?
• To what extent is democracy simply about majority rule?
• Is democracy intrinsically valuable or only valuable for the good
consequences it brings about?
• How universally applicable is democracy to other cultures and other
nations with no hist
Beetham, D  – Democracy, A Beginner’s Guide (Chapters 1 & 2).pdf
Blaug, R and Schwartzmantel, J  – Democracy, A Reader (Introduction).pdf
ory of such political institutions?Sen, Amartya, ‘Democracy as a Universal Value’, Journal of Democracy, 10
(1999), 3-17. Can be found here:
Christiano, Tom, ‘Democracy’ [parts 1 and 2], The Stanford Encyclopedia of
Philosophy (Fall 2008 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.),
Blaug, R. and Schwarzmantel, J. (1988) Democracy: A Reader (Edinburgh
University Press). Introduction.
Beetham, D. (2005) Democracy: A Beginner’s Guide (Oxford: One World
Publications). Chapters 1-4.
Dahl, Robert. (2000) On Democracy (New Haven: Yale UP). Chapters 1-4.
Wolff, J. (1996) An Introduction to Political Philosophy (Oxford: OUP). Chapter 3.
The question first appeared on Write My Essay
Is this question part of your Assignment?
We can help
Our aim is to help you get A+ grades on your Coursework.
We handle assignments in a multiplicity of subject areas including Admission Essays, General Essays, Case Studies, Coursework, Dissertations, Editing, Research Papers, and Research proposalsHeader Button Label: Get Started NowGet Started Header Button Label: View writing samplesView writing samples