I don’t know how to handle this Psychology question and need guidance.
For this discussion, answer the following questions.
- How much do you know about theories of psychotherapy as we begin our course?
- What information stood out or surprised you when viewing the program “Getting It Together?” https://video-alexanderstreet-com.library.capella….
- Which famous person or persons’ ideas on the Psychotherapy Timeline (attached in word document) are you most attracted to initially?
Support your discussion with specifics and at least one scholarly citation.
Describe only the limits of confidentiality as required by your state laws. How do these compare to the requirements of the APA ethics code? How would you explain these to future clients in words they can understand? Support your discussion with specifics and at least one scholarly citation.
Compare and contrast psychoanalytic psychotherapies and Adlerian psychotherapy you read about this week.
- How are they the same?
- How are they different?
- What kinds of multicultural considerations should you make when utilizing these theories?
- Which one appeals to you more as you think about incorporating these into your own practice?
Explain your reasoning.
Briefly describe the peer-reviewed article you found in the Capella Library and read this week:
- Did the research support psychodynamic therapy or another type of psychoanalytic therapy?
- For which particular kind(s) of clients does the article support the use of the approach to psychotherapy?
- Think critically about the article and tell us how strongly you think the evidence presented supports the use of that approach to therapy.
Ground your response with at least one peer-reviewed article that is cited correctly.
Explain the similarities and differences between client-centered therapy and either Adlerian psychotherapy or psychoanalytic psychotherapies. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each therapy?
Briefly describe the article you read by Albert Ellis: Use the Capella Library to locate a journal article written by Albert Ellis. Read the article and be prepared to discuss it in the discussions for this week.
- How is REBT different from psychoanalytic therapy?
- How is REBT different from client-centered therapy?
- How did you like his writing?
- How did the article enhance your understanding of his theory?
Describe your mock counseling session. Explain the “client’s” concern by applying the ABC model. Identify the (a) activating event, (b) belief about the event, and so forth. How effective were you at helping your client discover irrational beliefs and replace them with more rational ones?
Identify and define five concepts presented in the chapters on behavioral and cognitive therapy that add dimensions to psychotherapy not considered by earlier chapters. Discuss how each concept could help a specific kind of client problem.
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) has some of the best empirical support of any theory in psychology. But what seems to be missing from this approach? Why are other theories also needed? Support your discussion with references to your readings from this week.
The struggle to gain meaning is an important underpinning of both existential and Gestalt psychotherapy. Identify other major components of these two approaches to psychotherapy. Compare and contrast each. After watching “The Human Dilemma,” review the position interpersonal psychotherapy takes on the medical model. Would Dr. Rollo May agree or disagree with that position? Why or why not?
Interpersonal psychotherapy is a three-phase process. Read the case study found in your text. Explain how the therapist met the goals of the Initial Phase of therapy when working with Paul. Next, examine and summarize the therapist’s role in the Middle Phase of therapy and whether the therapist was or was not successful. Finally, talk about what needs to occur during the Termination Phase of therapy and if those elements were successfully addressed. Provide scholarly support for your argument.
After reading the case example of Michelle and Frank found in your text and the section that discusses the mechanisms of psychotherapy in family therapy, identify and explain which of the four changes were made by Frank and Michelle’s family.
Next, identify the therapeutic techniques that are used by the therapist in the “Adolescent Family Therapy” video of a family session with a mother and her two young adolescent children. Which approach to family therapy do you believe this therapist takes with the family? Support your answer with examples from the video that pointed you to your choice, and cite at least one scholarly source from your reading and viewing materials this week.
Compare and contrast contemplative psychotherapies and positive psychotherapy that you read about this week.
- How are they the same?
- How are they different?
- Which appeals to you more as you think about incorporating these approaches into your own practice?
Explain your reasoning and support those reasons with required readings and video for this unit.
Watch and jot down the major points found in the video “Rethinking Happiness.” Follow this by reading the “Positive Psychotherapy” chapter in your text. How might the three primary principles of positive psychotherapy shape a therapy session and, for that matter, an entire course of treatment differently than the basic principles of cognitive therapy?
In our text, Dr. Comas-Diaz identifies the six multicultural guidelines laid out by the APA. After viewing Dr. Beam’s work with his client and Dr. Robert Jay Green’s work with his clients provide examples of how these two therapists demonstrated cultural competence as it relates to guidelines one, two, and five.
Create an outline for your final paper/project. Decide which cultural minority (non-whites, non-Christians, LGBTs; those with physical disabilities, or lower socio-economic status) your created client will be a member of and find two current (within the last three years) peer reviewed studies that suggest a therapeutic approach that may be successful. Choose one to summarize and discuss ways that using this information fits some or all of the multicultural guidelines laid out by the American Psychological Association.
Integrative therapists believe approaches to therapy can and should be tailored for each individual they assist. However, this tweaking of approaches must be grounded by five principles to reflect this belief.
- Of the theories of psychotherapy we have studied this quarter, which one do you like the best? Explain why.
- Discuss the weaknesses of your chosen theory.
- Which other theory might be successfully integrated with your chosen theory to remediate those weaknesses?
Is this question part of your Assignment?
We can help
Our aim is to help you get A+ grades on your Coursework.
We handle assignments in a multiplicity of subject areas including Admission Essays, General Essays, Case Studies, Coursework, Dissertations, Editing, Research Papers, and Research proposalsHeader Button Label: Get Started NowGet Started Header Button Label: View writing samplesView writing samples