Article 9 of the Constitution of Singapore states that:
An arrested person has the following rights guaranteed under the Constitution:
(1) to be deprived of his life or liberty only if according to law;
(2) if the detention is unlawful, to apply to the High Court to secure release;
(3) to be informed of the grounds of his arrest as soon as may be;
(4) to be allowed to consult and be defended by a legal practitioner of his choice;
(5) if he is not released, he must without unreasonable delay and in any case within 48 hours (excluding the time for any necessary journey) be produced before a Magistrate who shall decide if he should be further detained.
List 3 examples of case laws in Singapore (one case for each particular right) or any existing Statutes (laws passed by Parliament) where it appears that such 3 rights were not guaranteed as stated in the Constitution. What (if any) recommendations would you make with regard to legal reform (i.e. making the law more just and fair)?
Is this question part of your Assignment?
We can help
Our aim is to help you get A+ grades on your Coursework.
We handle assignments in a multiplicity of subject areas including Admission Essays, General Essays, Case Studies, Coursework, Dissertations, Editing, Research Papers, and Research proposalsHeader Button Label: Get Started NowGet Started Header Button Label: View writing samplesView writing samples