The GSK bribery scandal Assignment Instructions.
Writer, please read all the required readings, Media, and videos first and then answer question topic 1. Please ENSURE TO Support your arguments with data and concepts from the readings, videos, and simulation:
DRS: Daniels, J. D., Radebaugh, L. H. & Sullivan, D. P. International business. (15th ed.) Chap. 3, The political and legal environments facing business, pp. 87-130; Chap. 4, The economic environments facing businesses, pp. 137 -180.
Quelch, J. & Rodriguez, M. L. (2013). GlaxoSmithKline in China (Product No. 9514049 ). Retrieved from http://hbsp.harvard.edu. You purchase the case study directly from Harvard Business Press using this link: https://cb.hbsp.harvard.edu/cbmp/access/38917131 Click on Managing Global Business Spring 2015.
Rogers, M., Zhu, B. C. & Fang, J. (2014). GSK: A case study. China Law & Practice, Retrieved from http://ezproxy.umuc.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/1559934804?accountid=14580
Jenner & Block, LLP. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) Business Guide 2015.
Scan FAQs pp. 38-47, international developments pp. 22-30.
U. S. Dept. of Justice (2012, November). A resource guide to the U. S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. http://www.justice.gov/criminal/fraud/fcpa/guidance/guide.pdf Focus on pp. 57-67, “Hallmark of effective compliance programs.”
“The extraterritorial reach of the FCPA and the UK Bribery Act: Implications for international business,” Arnold & Porter Advisory, March 2012. (http://www.arnoldporter.com/resources/documents/Advisory%20Extraterritorial_Reach_FCPA_and_UK_Bribery%20Act_Implications_International_Business.pdf).
1. Required Media: For this go to: www.pearsonmylabandmastering.com (Username: [email protected]; password: lovegod1). When you get to the page, click on AMBA 660 course; then on the left side tab click on “Videos and Simulations”. The media and simulation are in CHAPTER 3.
Required Video/Quiz: Emerging Markets—Spotlight on India and Mexico (8:07 min), www.pearsonmylabandmastering.com
Recommended Media: Global Business Ethics: Pharmaceuticals in China. July 17, 2014. 11 minutes. The global challenges for Americans doing business in China, specifically the issue of pharmaceuticals in China and GSK, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woMuFbaimBs
2. Simulation: For this go to: www.pearsonmylabandmastering.com (Username: [email protected]; password: lovegod1)
Chap. 3, Legal Differences www.pearsonmylabandmastering.com
The case study questions should not be included; just use headers to refer to them. This assignment should be written as a paper, and not in a question/answer format.
Read: GlaxoSmithK in China (A)
Submit an 8-page analysis of the issues that responds to the criteria and questions listed below.
Additional research is required! Use the data presented in the case study as well as information provided by course readings, videos, simulations and Discussions. The textbook (DRS) has to be used extensively to support the paper!
The report is to be double-spaced with 1-inch margins, 12 point type, posted as a rtf or Word document. Use APA format for citations and references. The cover page and list of references are not part of the page count. The report’s organization is to be:
Introduction: A brief paragraph (not more than half a page) that states succinctly the most significant, key issues raised by the case. No executive summary is required.
Analysis: Respond to EACH of the questions/issues listed below. Justify the answers you provide. Your report should recognize, integrate and cite relevant theories, concepts and ideas from the required readings, videos,
simulations, and Discussions. Address these issues and questions:
The CEO of a company based in the USA with subsidiaries in the United Kingdom is contemplating moving some of its operations to China but has read about the GSK bribery scandal in China. The CEO understands that the climate for foreign companies operating in China is not as welcoming as it used to be. The CEO is now asking his manager for international business to assess the GSK case, analyze the issues it presents. In particular the CEO wants to know what lessons his company can learn and how the company can reduce its risks when operating in China. The CEO handed his manager this list of questions:
1. GSK has featured its robust ethics and compliance program, even a “3rd Party Code of Conduct” for suppliers. What went wrong? What are the main external and internal factors that encouraged the GSK bribery scandal in China? Which, in your opinion, are more important? Explain your position.
2. Assess GSK’s response so far. Are the initiatives that GSK has implemented to address the bribery problems sufficient or would you suggest further actions? If you were Mark Reilly what would you have done? Explain.
3. Do you think that GSK has been treated unfairly? Was GSK really at fault or was it just unfortunate to have gotten caught given the perception that companies have to resort to bribing to win contracts? Explain.
4. How can we avoid similar situations and how can we reconcile local expectations of questionable payments with the U. S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act or the U.K. Bribery Act? What do you recommend? Explain your position.
5. What strategic and operational lessons can we take from your analysis?
Conclusions and Lessons Learned: What strategic and operational lessons can the CEO learn from your analysis?
Is this question part of your Assignment?
We can help
Our aim is to help you get A+ grades on your Coursework.
We handle assignments in a multiplicity of subject areas including Admission Essays, General Essays, Case Studies, Coursework, Dissertations, Editing, Research Papers, and Research proposalsHeader Button Label: Get Started NowGet Started Header Button Label: View writing samplesView writing samples