Rhetorical Analysis about “Mind Over Mass Media”
Response #3 Rhetorical Analysis
Purpose: A Rhetorical Analysis is a detailed examination of how persuasive a piece of writing is (or isn’t) and why. It is an essay that focuses on the choices an author has made in trying to persuade and/or appeal to his/her audience.
In order to do its job, a Rhetorical Analysis must:
• Give your opinion about the choices the author made in writing the text NOT about the topic of the text.
• Give sufficient background on the primary text’s message so that readers can follow the analysis of the text (summarize main points).
• Use direct quotations and paraphrases from the primary text to illustrate and support your claims about the text’s rhetoric.
Instructions: Write a 2-3 page analysis about the article: “Mind Over Mass Media” (Sourcework, pp. 199-200). Submit your (1) annotated article and (2) the Rhetorical Situations Worksheet with your paper.
Step 1: Analyze the article for rhetorical appeals (Ethos, Logos, Pathos).
• Ethos: Appeals to the character and expertise of the writer or speaker
• Logos: Appeals based on logic, reasoning, and evidence concerning the subject
• Pathos: Appeals to the beliefs and values of the audience
Step 2: In your essay, demonstrate how the author utilizes the three elements of the rhetorical appeals. Use the following outline to help write your paper. (you have the choice to write about the three elements or less).
Introduction (3-6 sentences)
• Include the author, title, year, and topic in the first sentence.
• Include a one to two sentence summary.
• Include a thesis statement that gives an overview of the body paragraph(s).
Body (3-5 paragraphs)
• Develop body paragraphs to follow the structure of your thesis statement.
• Include examples, paraphrases, and quotations from the text.
• Do not forget topic sentences and transition words.
Conclusion (at least 2-3 sentences)
• Restate your thesis and main points. Add an ending comment (See Sourcework, pp. 104-105).
Is this question part of your Assignment?
We can help
Our aim is to help you get A+ grades on your Coursework.
We handle assignments in a multiplicity of subject areas including Admission Essays, General Essays, Case Studies, Coursework, Dissertations, Editing, Research Papers, and Research proposalsHeader Button Label: Get Started NowGet Started Header Button Label: View writing samplesView writing samples