Assessment Task 1: Marketing Project
Scenario or background information
The outcome of this assessment is a market positioning strategy report
regarding a product or service of your company of choice. The product or
service should be either one that is slightly different to that already offered
by the company or a completely new product or service for the company.
To assist with the development of the market positioning strategy,
you will need to identify and use a marketing plan for the company
that provides the product or service. This plan will provide you with
key information such as marketing objectives that you will need
when completing the assessment.
The project work that you complete as part of developing your market
positioning strategy must be written up in report format that includes all the
information as set out in the assessment requirements below.
Your assessor will provide you with a template for the reports and you must
ensure that you use this format.
Part A: Market segmentation
For Part A of this assessment you must develop a market segmentation
1. Include a description of the product or service you have chosen.
2. Broadly describe the market for this product or service, including
3. Describe the segmentation criteria that you will use and why you have
chosen these criteria. You should also detail how your choice of
segmentation criteria links to relevant information about segmentation
in the company marketing plan.
4. Document sources of information that you will use for segmenting and
profiling markets. Include references for all the sources of information
that you use; for example, website references and the title and
publishing date of reference sources such as journals or annual
5. Describe each possible market segment for the product or service you
have chosen and in terms of the segmentation criteria that you have
identified for use.
6. Review each of the market segments with regard to whether they
meet the criteria for effective segmentation, e.g. are they measurable,
7. Identify new segmentation criteria where you have evaluated that
segments do not meet the criteria for effective segmentation.
8. Identify at least three market segments that you consider have the
most potential based on your research.
Part B: Identification of target market
For Part B of this assessment you must develop a target market report:
1. Describe the total market for the product or service, e.g. total sales,
2. Provide an evaluation of the attractiveness of each of the segments
you have identified, for example, growth rate or profitability, does if fit
with marketing objectives.
3. Describe each of the target markets you have selected in terms of the
4. Explain the range of strategies applicable to each segment including
effective advertising or distribution strategies and effective and
suitable targeting strategies.
5. Identify suitable strategies for each segment and in accordance with
strategies in the company marketing plan.
SGA590 Identify the market Workbook
Part C: Consumer profile
For Part C of this assessment you must develop a consumer profile (no
more than 2 pages for each profile) for your target market.
1. Your profile must use standard statistical terms and/or descriptive
terms used in media selection.
2. Outline demographic and/or psychographic descriptions.
3. Include a description of attitudes to the product or service.
Part D: Market positioning
For Part D of this assessment, you must develop a marketing positioning
1. Describe at least 4 positioning strategies that an organisation can
choose to follow and are relevant to your target markets.
2. Identify options for positioning strategies based on marketing
requirements as identified in the company marketing plan and your
selected target markets.
3. Outline a marketing mix based on the positioning of your product or
? Criteria within each section of the report that is Part A – Part D were
satisfactorily addressed. This means that adequate research and
analysis were conducted evidenced by written responses which satisfy
the question or request in each section.
Word Limit: (Approx. 1500 words).
Is this question part of your Assignment?
We can help
Our aim is to help you get A+ grades on your Coursework.
We handle assignments in a multiplicity of subject areas including Admission Essays, General Essays, Case Studies, Coursework, Dissertations, Editing, Research Papers, and Research proposalsHeader Button Label: Get Started NowGet Started Header Button Label: View writing samplesView writing samples