book ” Islam : Its History, Teaching, and Practices ” Author: Nigosian, S. A.
Date: 2004 SBN 0-253-34315-1 (cloth : alk. paper) — ISBN 0-253-21627-3. this is the book i choose to write about it .
Guidelines for BOOK REPORT
***You may submit a draft of your book report at least 1 week prior to the due date for the professor to read and give suggestions for improvement***
A. Structure and Minimum Requirements:
1. At least 3-full pages; double spaced.
2. Cover page is not included in 3 pages.
3. Double-spaced, “Times New Roman,” and “12-point font.”
4. Include the title of the book and its author/editor in your title. For example, if you are writing your report on Annemarie Schimmel’s Mystical Dimensions of Islam, the paper of your title should follow the following format: “Book Report on Mystical Dimensions of Islam by Annemarie Schimmel.”
5. The book you are writing about cannot be one of our textbooks.
6. The book you choose must be non-fiction, related to Islam, at least with 100 pages, and in English.
7. Whenever you quote from the book, use citations. Even when paraphrasing, make sure that you include page numbers. Likewise, if you use sources other than the book you are writing your report on, make sure to cite your source appropriately. Citations are required even when you are paraphrasing sentences/ideas from other sources. Otherwise, it is plagiarism and punishable by a failing grade for the course and report to the university for appropriate disciplinary action. As a general rule, whenever you are using somebody else’s opinions as if they are your own, it is plagiarism. When in doubt, use citations. There is nothing wrong with using as many citations as necessary.
8. It is preferred that you use the MLA style. However, you may use APA or Chicago formats too. Whichever style you choose, use it consistently for the entire paper (do not switch from one style to another).
9. Make sure to submit your paper as a hardcopy on time. If you cannot come to the class on the due date, arrange a friend to bring it to class or my office.
1. Reserve at least 2 pages for “description” and 1 page for “analysis.”
2. In description part, give as much information as possible about the book:
–If possible, information about the author (not to exceed one paragraph)
–Main thesis/argument of the book
–Main points of the book
3. In analysis part, you can employ either an “internal criticism” or “external criticism,” or a mixture of both.
–Internal Criticism: Try to identify if there are any contradictions in the book. Does the author contradict himself/herself?
–External Criticism: Do you agree with the arguments/facts/points of the author? Why? Do you have any evidence from other sources (other books/articles or your own experience) to support your criticism?
4. Lastly, in the analysis section, explain the importance of this book for the general audience. Try to answer some of the following questions:
–Is the book important? Why?
–Is the book beneficial? How?
–Is the book misleading? Why?
1. Pay attention to grammar, spelling, and punctuation. If possible, before submitting your papers, have a native speaker read it.
2. Please pay attention to the following common mistakes:
–Difference between: they/they’re
–Difference between: its/it’s; his/he’s
–Difference between: lead/led
–Difference between: one’s/ones
–Difference between ‘’/’
–Difference between ‘/ ’
–Difference between man/men; woman/women
–Differences among Islam/Muslim/Islamic
3. Be extra careful especially when using technical terms, names, and words from other languages. For example, do not make the following common mistakes:
–Quran (wrong); Qur’an (correct)
–Alfarabi, AlFarabi (wrong); Al-Farabi (correct)
–Mutezilite, Mu’tezilite (wrong); Mu‘tezilite (correct)
1. Wrong title (book’s or author’s name missing): -10 points
2. Less than 3-full pages:
–Only 2 and half pages: -10 points
–Only 2 pages: -20 points
–Only 1 and half pages: -35 points
–Only 1 page: -50 points
3. Missing Analysis:
–Only ½ page analysis: -20 points
–Only ¾ page analysis: -10 points
–Only ¼ page analysis: -30 points
–No analysis: -50 points
4. Quality of Description and Analysis:
–Good: Book’s content is successfully delivered, main arguments and points are successfully identified, and critical analysis is satisfactory.
–Moderate: Book content’s is vaguely delivered, or main arguments and points are misidentified, or critical analysis is not satisfactory: -20 points
–Poor: Book’s content is not delivered, main arguments and points are misidentified or not identified, and poor or no critical analysis: -40 points
–Each grammar, spelling, or punctuation mistake: -1 points
–Each citation mistake: -2 points
–Maximum points taken off because of grammar: -20
6. Submission and Deadline:
–Each day your paper is late: -10 points
“Islam : Its History, Teaching, and Practices” Book Report | Assignment.
Is this question part of your Assignment?
We can help
Our aim is to help you get A+ grades on your Coursework.
We handle assignments in a multiplicity of subject areas including Admission Essays, General Essays, Case Studies, Coursework, Dissertations, Editing, Research Papers, and Research proposalsHeader Button Label: Get Started NowGet Started Header Button Label: View writing samplesView writing samples