1. The role of government in the U.S. industrial relations system is:
active in dispute resolution
legalistic in administrative procedures and active in dispute
legalistic in administrative procedures and the courts, but passive in dispute resolution
legalistic in the courts only
2. A bona fide occupational qualification allows
random drug testing
discrimination to be permissible when a qualification is considered reasonably necessary to the operation of the business or enterprise
exemption from the Fourteenth Amendment
3. The right of employees to strike in support of their bargaining demands is protected by
collective bargaining agreements
the Taft-Hartley Act
the Landrum-Griffin Act
4. In a unionized firm, the _____ clause of the collective bargaining agreement typically retains for management the authority to impose reasonable rules for workplace conduct and to discipline employees for just cause.
5. A worker being fired for actions ranging from filing a workers’ compensation claim to reporting safety violations to government agencies is called
6. According to _____, an employee may not be fired because he or she refuses to commit an illegal act, such as perjury or price fixing.
social learning theory
public policy exception
7. In U.S. industrial relations, union organization is
supported by both large and small employers
opposed by large employers but supported by small employers
opposed by both large and small employers
opposed by small employers but supported by large employers
8. Mediation is most successful when
the mediator acts as a judge in the negotiations
disputants see mediators as fair
mediators are assigned by the courts to intervene
the mediator’s advice has the force of a government writ
9. The concept of _____ requires an employer not only to produce persuasive evidence of an employee’s liability or negligence, but also to provide the employee a fair hearing and to impose a penalty appropriate to the proven offense.
the hot-stove rule
10. A(n) _____ is a neutral facilitator between employees and managers who assists in resolving workplace disputes.
11. While mediation assists the parties to reach their own settlement, _____ hears the positions of both and decides on binding settlement terms.
12. One distinctive feature of the U.S. system compared with other countries is
collective agreements are of fixed duration that embody a sharp distinction between negotiation of and interpretation of an agreement
centralized collective bargaining
low union dues and small union staffs
13. The Civil Rights Act of 1871
provides that a seniority system that intentionally discriminates against the members of a protected group can be challenged within 180 days
prohibits the denial, termination, or suspension of government contracts if an employer is following an affirmative action plan accepted by the federal government for the same facility within the past 12 months
grants all citizens the right to sue in federal court if they feel they have been deprived of any rights guaranteed by the Constitution and other laws
requires that men and women working for the same establishment be paid the same rate of pay for work that is substantially equal in skill, effort, responsibility, and working conditions
14. Title VII is most relevant to the employment context because it _____ on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin in all aspects of employment.
15. _____ refers to an employment relationship between an employer and an employee, under which either party can terminate the relationship without notice for any reason not prohibited by law.
Fiduciary duty of loyalty
An implied promise
Employment at will
Is this question part of your Assignment?
We can help
Our aim is to help you get A+ grades on your Coursework.
We handle assignments in a multiplicity of subject areas including Admission Essays, General Essays, Case Studies, Coursework, Dissertations, Editing, Research Papers, and Research proposalsHeader Button Label: Get Started NowGet Started Header Button Label: View writing samplesView writing samples