Details of a vane-type vacuum pump are given in figures 2 to 9. Assembled kits equipped with a single pump driven by an electric motor are to be offered. The following design considerations and modifications are to be implemented.
1. The pump and the motor need to be mounted on a specially designed base fabricated from steel sections. The horizontal distance between the motor and pulley centres should be between 510 and 560 mm as depicted in the general layout – figure 1. The kit will also include a belt safety guard.
2. The electric motor, refer to figure 2 for the basic dimensions, runs at a constant 1440 rpm but the pump must operate at 900 rpm ± 10 rpm.
3. Drive from the motor to the pump is by V-belts running between two double-groove pulleys. Each pulley is to be keyed to its respective shaft.
4. At this stage the supplier of the vanes, figure 7, has not been selected. Therefore, the exact thickness of the vanes is unknown. The preliminary design has a vane thickness of 16 mm but the final design must accommodate for thicknesses between 16 and 18 mm. In order to cater for this your model should include a parametric relationship between the vane thickness and the width of the rotor slots.
Your task is to:
1. Create parametric feature-based solid models for all the components of the vacuum pump as shown or listed in figures 2 to 9. This includes a model of a suitable double-groove pulley for the pump.
2. Create an assembled model of the pump showing all parts in their working positions and with 16 mm wide vanes fitted.
3. Set up a parametric relationship to automatically update the rotor slot width and other parts, features and dimensions affected by the vane width change as mentioned in item 4 of the Background section (i.e. a simple dimension edit of the vane width should automatically change the sizes and / or shape of the effected mating parts and features.)
4. Produce a model of a double-groove pulley for the electric motor and select suitable drive belts that will accommodate the positioning of the motor relative to the pump as specified in 1 of the Background information.
5. Design and model a base to support the motor and pump. The base design should allow positional adjustability of the motor so that the belts can be changed and tensioned.
6. Create a second assembled model. This time the model should show the spatial arrangement of the motor, pump, belts, base and guard. You should also show the mounting bolts, nuts and washers.
7. Produce two separate engineering assembly drawings – one of the overall assembly as in 6 above and the second of a single pump as in 1 and 2 above. In addition to the orthographic views the drawing should also include a three dimensional view, title block, parts lists, and other information generally associated with assembly drawings.
8. Produce fully dimensioned engineering detail drawings for the parts listed below:
• pump and motor pulleys
• support base
Specify appropriate surface finish requirements, general tolerances, and other information normally shown on a detail drawing. In addition to the orthographic views each drawing should also include a three dimensional view of the part.
9. Nominate and justify suitable fits and tolerances, on a separate A4 sheet, for the following mating parts / features:
a. endplate bearing bore
b. pump shaft diameter for the bearing
c. pump pulley bore and shaft
d. rotor bore and shaft
The basic size with the upper and lower limits for each fit should also appear on the A4 sheet. The tolerance dimensions must be shown in the appropriate detail drawings as well. Do not provide specific tolerances other than those listed above.
Do you want your assignment written by the best essay experts? Then look no further. Our team of experienced writers are on standby to deliver to you a quality written paper as per your specified instructions. Order Now, and enjoy an amazing discount!!
Is this question part of your Assignment?
We can help
Our aim is to help you get A+ grades on your Coursework.
We handle assignments in a multiplicity of subject areas including Admission Essays, General Essays, Case Studies, Coursework, Dissertations, Editing, Research Papers, and Research proposalsHeader Button Label: Get Started NowGet Started Header Button Label: View writing samplesView writing samples