Civil Engineering Practice – Individual Project (40%)
Part 2: Building a Case Study:
Choose a current, recent or historic structural engineering project to research and report on it for the following assessment tasks. Look for a project that interests you (maybe a local structure), that you can easily get access to information about, and that can provide details for all the assessment tasks given below. Your submission should include writing and pictures.
Task 3 : Introduce your case study Provide a brief summary of the overall project you have chosen including:
• A description of the structure (this must include a picture)
• The purpose of the structure
• The challenges faced during the design and/or construction of the structure.
This is to be written report of approximately 300 words in length.
Task 4: Role of a Civil Engineer Describe the role of one of the Civil Engineers involved in the project including their:
• Career path/history • Area of specialisation within the project If possible you should do this by interviewing a Civil Engineer on the project and provide a written report of approximately 300 words.
If you choose a historic project we suggest you choose an iconic type structure with a famous historical civil engineer involved, e.g. one of the historic bridges.
Task 5: Construction materials and Task 6: Green Building Design
After undertaking the activities in the tutorial in week 12 on sustainable construction materials, (and viewing the videos and resources in Module 2 online) discuss the construction materials used in all or one aspect of your building case study, particularly anything innovative. Suggest and discuss alternative options and their advantages/disadvantages, particularly with reference to sustainability. After attending the lecture in Week 12 on Green Buildings (and viewing the online resources), analyse any green building aspects of the design structure you have chosen. If none are available, suggest how the building could be or could have been improved in this respect. We expect you to reference green building standards in this assessment task (refer to the resources on the course homepage). The discussion for tasks 5 and 6 combined should be approximately 800 words in length. Participation marks Weeks 12: Attend the Green Buildings Lecture (1 mark) Participate in the Sustainable Construction Material Activity (1 mark)
Task 7: Structure loads and load paths
After undertaking the activities in the tutorial in week 13 on loads and load paths, (and viewing the videos and resources in Module 3 online), describe in words and pictures the following items for your building case study:
• What components make up the permanent actions/dead loads of this structure?
• What are the imposed actions/live loads that this structure has to be designed to withstand?
• What types of environmental loads would this structure need to be designed for?
• Describe and sketch the vertical and horizontal load paths for your structure – how does it transfer these dead/live and environmental loads to the ground?
For a custom paper on the above topic, place your order now!
What We Offer:
• On-time delivery guarantee
• PhD-level writers
• Automatic plagiarism check
• 100% money-back guarantee
• 100% Privacy and Confidentiality
• High Quality custom-written papers
Is this question part of your Assignment?
We can help
Our aim is to help you get A+ grades on your Coursework.
We handle assignments in a multiplicity of subject areas including Admission Essays, General Essays, Case Studies, Coursework, Dissertations, Editing, Research Papers, and Research proposalsHeader Button Label: Get Started NowGet Started Header Button Label: View writing samplesView writing samples